Monday, January 11, 2010

Spinach Dip

I am NOT a fan of spinach even in the slightest. You show me something green and you are guaranteed to have my nose in the air, just ask my mom. I am however a sucker for Spinach Artichoke dips at restaurants. I have searched a lot to find a good recipe and have not been happy with any of them even if they are EXACTLY what the person who made it told me. I was convinced the spinach dip needed cream cheese therefore I made one of my own.

I have a bible study so they were the guinea pigs this time. I took the bag of spinach from my freezer that has been there for what seems like an eternity just waiting for such a time as this, I had my hubby follow the pkg directions for cooking it, drained it, took a few paper towels and squeezed out the excess liquid ( I saw that one on tv) note to self: wait until the spinach cools more before handeling with bare hands, it's HOT. I had originally thought it would be a perfect food processor project since I received my first one for Christmas, however after a little bit of thought decided it was a stove project, so I grabbed my cream cheese and my spinach and turned on the burner and added onion soup mix, then mixed it all together. I had this particular recipe in my head and had all ingredients on hand but usually I go by the seat of my pants. I had my husband take the first sample, he always does whether he likes to or not. I then asked him what it needed. He replied it needs something, but I don't know what it is, what every cook wants to hear, NOT! He then decided it could use some salt and pepper and began adding. He then also thought it could use some lemon juice. After a few shakes of both and few quirt's of lemon juice he took a second sample and decided it was a master piece. I should also take the time right now to inform you that I RARELY measure things out, their is never the same amount of ingredients in my creations. I learned that one from my Grandma M.

Now onto the recipe

1/2 package frozen spinach Cooked following the pkg instructions
then drain and squeeze out excess liquid. (once cooled)

2 8oz pkg's of cream cheese

1 pkg onion soup mix

salt and pepper to taste

lemon juice a few squirts you can do fresh I just did the squeeze lemon.

Mix together in pan on stove, heat til hot and serve soon after.

We found out tonight that it does not keep it's form very long so I recommend making it and serving shortly after.

No comments:

Post a Comment